Work Day: Converse Loop, May 9, 2020

Trail crew (l-R): Jim Faughnan, Nick Krembs, John McCormick, Peter Griggs, Cathie Redpath, Gerry Plummer, Doug Hardy, and (Photoshopped behind the trees) Steve Flanders

On May 9th, eight members of the Norwich Trails Committee assembled at the upper trailhead of the Ballard Trail at 0900 to restore the 0.4-mile Converse Loop to easy use by hikers. The Converse Loop is named after a former Norwich resident and trails committee member, Professor Alvin O. Converse Professor of Engineering, Emeritus of the Thayer School of Engineering. The trails committee members on the work crew were, in alphabetical order:

  • Jim Faughnan
  • Steve Flanders
  • Peter Griggs
  • Doug Hardy
  • Nick Krembs (organizer)
  • John McCormick
  • Gerry Plummer
  • Cathie Redpath

While Jim Faughnan and Doug Hardy wielded chainsaws, the others used clippers and handsaws to create a restored path. Nick Krembs added distinctive blue markers to delineate the trail. The crew’s work was complete by 1130.

Photos and story by Stephen Flanders, member, Norwich Trails Committee

%d bloggers like this: